The purpose of the Hope Fund is to provide emergency resources to cancer patients in a timely fashion. These funds are available to cancer patients in Virginia when public funds are unavailable or to serve as a bridge to sustain a patient during application processing. Qualified patients are referred and sponsored by a chaplain or a social worker.
- Financial support is available to all Virginia cancer patients.
- The fund will cover a maximum of $500 in expenses whenthe Fund’s circumstances allow.
- Qualified patients will be referred / sponsored by hospital social workers.
- Funds can be used when public funds are unavailable or to serve as a bridge to sustain a patient during application processing.
Method of Operation
- The most serious needs are covered first if there should be insufficient funds to cover all needs. Applications will be made by a Social Worker with the approval of the designated Hope Fund liaison.
Then applications will be approved by 2 members of the board. Payment will be made in the form of checks directly to those providing a service for the patient. Blind records will be kept of all payments (with patients identified by history numbers).
- A portion of all funds raised will go into an endowment. This money will be invested in guaranteed fixed-income investments or United States Treasury Bonds. All administrative costs are paid by the Hope Fund Board. The rest will go directly into an operating fund for disbursement to patients in need.
- In the event developments in medicine should make this fund no longer necessary, the administrators of the Hope Fund will meet to decide on an alternative area where patient support is needed, and the fund will be transferred to that area.
- Fund availability is based on individual needs, but can be used for the following items and at the discretion of social workers or chaplains: tooth extractions, food (Ensure, etc.), telephone, prescriptions, transportation, light, heat, rent other short term emergency needs as determined on a case by case basis.
- Funds are not available for equity items such as a car or house payment.